Things to consider:
- Prepare a message or having a written note to tell a driver where you want to go.
- Have instructions and/ or photos to show how to tie down your wheelchair or mobility device.
- Telling the driver what they should do when communicating with you (Communication Access Card). Include a note that tells the driver what you will do if you need to get his attention when they are driving
- Have your token or payment ready and placed in a location that can be seen by both you and the driver. Keep your payment separate from other money in your wallet
- Discuss your preferred ways to book, cancel, confirm transportation arrangements with your local para-transit dispatcher (e.g. text, SMS, email)
- Set up a script for regular bookings with your local para-transit dispatcher.
- Discuss alternate transport arrangements with para-transit to ensure they give basic information to a pick-up service and confirm pick up and drop off as a safety precaution.
- Have an emergency contact number ready in the event of problems or your transportation not coming.
- If flying, have clear instructions on how to stow your communication device until you can use it. Know how to turn off internet connection in fly mode.
Send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
These suggestions should not be considered as legal advice, or appropriate for everyone. CDAC is not liable for their use.