People who may need communication supports
People have communication support needs if they need assistance to understand, express themselves or interact with others. It may not always be obvious that a person has a communication support need.
- Speak in a way that is hard for you to understand
- Communicate in a way that is unfamiliar to you
- Have difficulty communicating exactly what they want to express
- Show you a card or tell you they have a disability that affects their communication
- Tell you they don’t understand what you are saying.
- Look confused, shrug or gesture that they don’t understand
- Defer to someone to answer for them
- Answer in ways that suggest they may not have heard or understood what you said
- Give inaccurate, irrelevant, unclear or rambling answers to questions