This resource is comprised of five, online sessions and supplemental resources, designed to guide people in identifying and providing communication supports in choice and decision-making situations.
Contributors to the sessions include people who have a diverse range of experiences and qualifications in communication disabilities, legislation and accessibility. Click here for information on contributors.
The sessions include:
- Communication and Capacity: Context and Guiding Principles (Barbara Collier)
- Communication Disabilities: Barriers and Impact on Choice and Control (Barbara Collier)
- Legal Context for Exercising Capacity and Provision of Communication Supports (Lana Kerzner)
- Communication Supports: Formal, Symbolic Communicators (Barbara Collier)
- Communication Supports: Informal, Non-Symbolic Communicators (Jo Watson)
The sessions are intended for anyone who interacts with or provides services to people who have disabilities, including healthcare providers, lawyers, capacity assessors, guardians, justice professionals, and disability service providers. It is also relevant for people who have disabilities that affect their communication, family members, speech-language pathologists and augmentative communication clinicians.