Communication Assistance when Making a Formal Complaint

An individual with a communication disability may request communication assistance to make a complaint to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director, the National Judicial Council, Human Rights Tribunal, Regulatory Healthcare bodies and other groups.

In these situations, a person with a communication disability may need assistance from an individual who is familiar with how they communicate, such as a family member, friend, or a support worker.

In situations where a familiar person is not available or appropriate, a qualified professional with expertise in communication may be required to assist. This can be a Speech-Language Pathologist, or an Augmentative Communication Clinician. The person requiring this assistance can request that the investigating organization pay for these services as an accessibility accommodation.

Documenting a Complaint:

Communication support may be required to assist the person to:

  • Formulate their complaint
  • Write and submit their complaint

Interview/ Hearing:

If the complaint proceeds to an interview or a hearing, and depending on the nature of the complaint, the investigating organization or the complainant may want to request a Communication Intermediary to provide independent, neutral communication assistance.

A Communication Intermediary is a Speech-Language Pathologist who has attended trainings by CDAC on how to work within a justice and legal setting.