Conditions in emergency situations require fast, accurate and decisive communication that may compromise effective communication with people who have disabilities that affect their communication.
EMS personnel should have training and information about:
- Communicating in an emergency with people who have communication disabilities
- Using a range of communication strategies
- Letter and picture communication boards
- Getting information about medical background, and consent to treatment
- Evacuation plans for group / nursing homes where people who have communication disabilities live