Paying a Communication Assistant / Intermediary

Similar to the provision of sign language interpreting services, it is the responsibility of publicly funded organization to pay for any communication assistance that a person may need when communicating at their event or meeting.

In some situations, people with disabilities, may choose to bring a family member or support staff with them to assist with communication.  They may or may not require funding to pay for this assistance.

People who have disabilities may also choose to hire a communication assistant from the database and use their personal funding.

Communication Intermediaries are paid by police, legal or justice services.

Payment rate for a communication assistant is equivalent to the rate of a personal support worker.

Payment rate for a communication intermediary is equivalent to the rate of a Speech-Language Pathologist.