This project provides a free training program for people who support individuals who have communication disabilities when they are communicating in their communities.
Participants who successfully complete the training will:
- Have guidelines to provide improved communication assistance to the people they support
- Receive a certificate of attendance at the course to add to their resume
- Have the option to be listed on the CDAC communication assistant roster for potential engagements by community services and people with communication disabilities
CDAC acknowledges a funding contribution from the Government of Canada’s Social Development Partnerships Program – Disability Component. This project is part of Making Public Forums Accessible for People with Communication Disabilities.
CDAC is solely responsible for the content of this project.
This course gives information on ways to support people who have communication disabilities and who communicate using:
- unclear speech
- picture, symbol, letter boards
- communication devices
While it is available to anyone who wants to support people with communication disabilities, it will be of particular value to personal support workers, attendants, communication disorders assistants, direct service providers, family members and friends of people with communication disabilities and students in a disability service area.
Participants will need:
- Proficient reading and writing skills in English or French
- Access to a computer and internet connection
- A personal email address
- Approximately 4 – 5 hours between January 22, 2018 – Feb 9, 2018 to complete the course and quizzes.